Our Holistic Dentistry Approach
Natural, Non-Toxic Dentistry for Optimum Dental Care
Holistic dentistry uses non-toxic materials, conservative procedures and natural healing methods. It puts minimal stress on your body and often results in faster healing and longer-lasting dental health. It also aims to identify the root causes of oral health problems and address those as part of treatment; we don’t just treat a condition’s symptoms. Dr. Schultheis has studied holistic dental methods extensively, and is a board member of the Holistic Dental Association.
Dentistry and Overall Health
In recent years, many studies have established a connection between the health of the mouth and the overall health of the individual. Harmful bacteria from gum disease can spread from the mouth to other areas of the body through the bloodstream and affect the body’s health. Studies have shown that there is a significant link between oral health and conditions such as heart disease, stroke, Alzheimer’s and diabetes.
By ridding the mouth of gum disease or infection, overall health can be improved. Conversely, health issues in the rest of the body can cause or exacerbate oral health problems. We try to address those situations through nutrition, supplements and other natural treatments.
The effects of dentistry on the whole body
Traditional dentistry doesn’t always take into account the long-term effects of dentistry on the whole body. The chemicals used in dental materials and oral products can be detrimental to one’s health. Certain procedures, such as root canals, can also adversely affect a patient’s health. When creating a holistic treatment plan, we choose procedures and materials that are safer and healthier for the patient. Dr. Schultheis continually researches the latest effective natural methods of treatment and incorporates these into our practice.
A vital part of our holistic approach to dentistry is the reduction or elimination of toxic materials and products in our dental work. We focus on safer dentistry and decreasing harmful chemical ingestion from oral health products and dental products by using the most bio-inert and bio-compatible products available.
Our Natural, Holistic Procedures
Following are the highlights of our holistic services.
- Safe removal of amalgam (mercury) fillings—We remove amalgam fillings using strict protocols and safeguards to prevent heavy metal exposure during the procedure. We also use supplements to counteract any inadvertent exposure. Because of our safeguards, even patients with chronic health conditions and weakened immune systems can safely have their metal fillings removed.
- Healthy, chemical-free cleanings—We use natural, plant-based oils and other natural substances to help get rid of harmful bacteria and enhance overall oral health. Our cleanings are completely dye-free, gluten-free and non-toxic.
- Metal-free crowns, bridges and veneers in a single visit—Dr. Schultheis uses the CEREC® in-office dental CAD/CAM system to provide biocompatible porcelain crowns, bridges and veneers in one visit. The restorations are designed and milled while you wait, and you can usually walk out of our office with your final restoration in place, within one or two hours.
- Biocompatible, metal-free dental materials—We continually research the latest, most biocompatible materials for our dental restorations, and we only use the highest-quality, non-toxic materials. For example, in addition to traditional titanium implants, we also provide metal-free ceramic implants.
Biocompatibility testing—As an optional service, we can perform biocompatibility testing on any of our restorative materials before treatment, including crowns, dentures and dental implants. This guarantees that you will have no allergic reactions to anything going into your mouth.
- Ozone therapy for bacteria elimination—Ozone gas is a highly effective, natural method for eliminating bacteria in the mouth. It can penetrate deep into the dental enamel and eliminate infections inside the teeth. We use it in the treatment of tooth decay and gum disease, and it is also extremely useful in avoiding the need for root canal therapy.
- Fluoride-free tooth remineralization—If we catch tooth decay in an early stage, we can often reverse it by remineralizing the tooth. We use oral probiotics and natural, fluoride-free, plant-based remineralization products.
- Gentle ultrasonic scalers and minimally invasive laser treatment for gum disease—Ultrasonic scalers gently remove the hardened plaque and bacteria that cause gum disease. After scaling, a dental laser helps eliminate any remaining bacteria and stimulates healing of the gum tissue.
Cold lasers to help treat TMJ pain—For patients who have frequent headaches or pain due to misalignment of their jaw joint (TMJ), we use a dental laser for effective pain reduction. The laser also reduces inflammation and stimulates the natural healing capacity of the affected tissues.
- Natural teeth whitening—We offer natural teeth whitening, as well as traditional teeth whitening. For patients who do not want to whiten their teeth with artificial chemicals, we use 100 percent natural teeth whitening powder with ingredients such as activated charcoal, parsley powder, celery and peppermint.
- Natural alternatives to root canal therapy—Research has shown that it is impossible to fully eliminate bacteria from the root canals in a tooth during root canal therapy. Bacteria left in the canal can proliferate and can lead to adverse health issues later on. As an alternative to root canal therapy, Dr. Schultheis can save teeth using natural methods to heal the tooth nerve.
- Supplements and natural remedies for better oral health, natural healing and the prevention of pain—We use natural supplements and remedies, such as aloe vera and natural oils, to help heal any infections and inflammation in the mouth, and to remedy and prevent pain.
$79 Holistic Consultation
Come and see us for a thorough holistic consultation and evaluation. Your visit will include:
- Comprehensive oral exam
- Evaluation of your oral health
- Digital X-rays, as needed
- Gum disease evaluation
- Oral cancer screening
- Consultation with the doctor
To make an appointment, call 410‑257‑7200 (Calvert), 410‑257‑7200 (Annapolis) or click here to request an appointment online.