Early Orthodontic Treatment in Annapolis & Calvert
Prevent the need for braces with Myobrace® Natural, Early Orthodontic Treatment
Three out of four children have some degree of crowded teeth and incorrectly developing jaws. These problems are evident from as early as four years of age, and if not treated, often result in a bad bite and incorrectly aligned teeth at a later age.
Dr. Schultheis provides early, preventive orthodontic treatment for children using Myobrace, a treatment system that uses natural methods to address the underlying causes of crooked teeth. The optimum age for treatment is ages six to ten, while the jaws are still developing.
What Myobrace treatment corrects
- Myobrace treatment is a comfortable treatment for crooked and misaligned bites that does not require any braces. It can reduce or eliminate the need for braces later in life.
- By correcting the way the jaws grow and align early on, the entire facial structure is improved. This can help the child avoid future jaw joint problems, such as TMJ disorders and tooth grinding.
- The correction of the jaw growth can also give your child a more aesthetic facial structure.
- Many children have a jaw and tooth alignment problem as a result of thumb sucking and tongue thrusting. The Myobrace system helps the child give up these habits.
- Health benefits can include improved posture and fewer allergies. Myobrace treatment often opens the airways, benefiting the child with more oxygen. This can result in better sleep and better concentration.
What is Myobrace Treatment?
Myobrace treatment is natural, metal-free and does not involve appliances that are fixed into the mouth. More than 20 years of clinical studies have proven Myobrace to be successful in guiding optimal jaw growth and proper jaw and tooth alignment.
With Myobrace treatment, there is no relapse of tooth misalignment. With traditional orthodontic treatment (i.e. braces), the teeth usually start to move back into their incorrect positions after the braces come off—for this reason, patients are usually required to wear retainers for the rest of their lives. Because the Myobrace method corrects the underlying cause of the problem, there is little to no need for retainers after treatment.
In addition to its orthodontic benefits, Myobrace treatment can decrease teeth grinding, jaw joint disorders, breathing problems and bad posture. It also expands the airways, allowing for a better intake of oxygen. This often results in improved sleep and better health, which can decrease attention deficit disorder symptoms and inability to focus.
Because Myobrace promotes proper development of the jaw, your child’s overall facial structure can also significantly improve, leading to a more attractive appearance. This can set your child up for a lifetime of increased confidence and self-esteem, as well as better oral health.
How Myobrace Works
Myobrace focuses on correcting unhealthy oral habits that result in incorrect jaw development and improper tooth alignment. Harmful habits include tongue thrusting, thumb sucking and incorrect swallowing. Research has shown that it is not primarily genetics, but the incorrect development of the jaw that is the cause of badly aligned teeth.
Treatment starts with a detailed evaluation by Dr. Schultheis. She then formulates an exact treatment plan to address any issues found.
Myobrace treatment involves wearing a removable oral appliance for one to two hours a day and overnight. Dr. Schultheis will also lay out a program of oral exercises to correct habits such as incorrect swallowing. The appliance and exercises help retrain the muscles of the mouth to exert their forces as nature intended.
Come and See Us
You can bring your child in for a personal evaluation with Dr. Schultheis. She will let you know if your child’s jaws and facial structures are developing correctly. If they are not, she will explain in detail what Myobrace treatment can do to remedy the situation.
To make an appointment, call 410‑257‑7200 (Calvert), 410‑257‑7200 (Annapolis) or click here to request an appointment online.