Dental Bonding in Annapolis & Calvert
An Economical Option to Enhance the Look of Your Teeth
Dental bonding is a procedure that uses a tooth-colored dental resin to make minor cosmetic changes or structural repairs to teeth.
Conditions we correct with dental bonding include:
- Spaces between teeth
- Chipped teeth
- Stains and discoloration
Dental bonding is also used to provide tooth-colored fillings.
Dr. Schultheis is an experienced and skilled cosmetic dentist. She uses various methods to improve her patients’ smiles, and dental bonding is one of her favorite procedures to give patients a fast and economical smile makeover.
Dr. Schultheis uses a resin material that creates a very natural and aesthetic final finish.
How Dental Bonding Works
To begin, the surface of your tooth is mildly roughened. This provides a large surface area for the bonding materials to adhere to.
Dr. Schultheis colors the resin to the desired shade and applies it to your tooth’s surface. She also sculpts the resin into the desired shape to provide an aesthetically pleasing result. A high-intensity light is used to harden the material, after which the surface is finely polished until it achieves the gloss and texture of your natural tooth.
When is Dental Bonding Used?
Dental bonding is an economical option that can be used for a variety of situations, including the following:
- To repair cracked or chipped teeth
- To close spaces between teeth
- To make teeth look longer
- To cover and improve the appearance of discolored or spotted teeth
- To change the shape of teeth
- To fill a cavity, as a more cosmetic and healthy alternative to silver amalgam
- To fill in worn areas or grooves on teeth
- To protect a portion of a tooth’s root that has become exposed because of gum recession
Dental Bonding as Compared to Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers are used to fix the same issues that dental bonding corrects. Veneers are also used for more extensive smile makeovers, such as making mildly crooked teeth look straight and changing the shape of teeth.
Dental bonding has several advantages that make it very suitable for minor or temporary changes.
- Dental bonding is a one-visit, relatively fast procedure.
- Little preparation is needed on the teeth.
- Anesthesia is rarely needed, unless the bonding material is being used to fill a cavity
- Bonding can be a good temporary cosmetic fix, until a more permanent solution, such as crowns or veneers, can be obtained.
However, dental bonding is subject to cracking and chipping, and will lose part of its shape, color and finish within a few years. Porcelain veneers are longer-lasting and can have a more aesthetic finish.
$79 Cosmetic Consultation
To find out if dental bonding, or some other cosmetic solution, would work best for what you want to achieve, schedule a Cosmetic Consultation with Dr. Schultheis. Your visit will include the following:
- Full evaluation of your smile
- Review before & after photos
- Cosmetic imaging using special smile design software
- Consultation with the doctor
- Discuss treatment options
- All questions answered
A $279 Value!
*The $79 fee will be applied to your treatment.
To make an appointment, call 410‑257‑7200 (Calvert), 410‑257‑7200 (Annapolis) or click here to request an appointment online.